Sensory sessions enable babies to explore sights, sounds and textures. It can also be a calm and quiet session, and is a great way to get babies to explore a new environment and new things.
The different colour changing lights, mix of textures of the materials and calming music provide a relaxing and fascinating experience for babies, toddlers and pre-school children. There has been a lot of research on the benefits of sensory play with the results showing why it is important for child development such as:
- Research shows that sensory play builds nerve connections in the brain’s pathways, which lead to the child’s ability to complete more complex learning tasks.
- Sensory play supports language development, cognitive growth, fine and gross motor skills, problem solving skills, and social interaction.
- This type of play aids in developing and enhancing memory
- Sensory play is great for calming an anxious or frustrated child
- This helps children learn sensory attributes (hot, cold, sticky, dry)